Presbyopia patients have changed. They are younger than ever, more active than ever before, and they have more treatment options than ever before.
“There is an intense amount of interest in helping our patients who have cataract surgery to lessen their dependence on glasses postoperatively,” said Bret L. Fisher, MD, medical director, Eye Center of North Florida, Panama City. “As practicing ophthalmologists, we have been looking for lenses that offer solutions for our patients without too much compromise and that allow them a full range of vision without causing other problems.”
Dr. Fisher helped introduce the AcrySof IQ ReStor +2.5 D intraocular lens (IOL), the first in a new family of ActiveFocus IOLs from Alcon Laboratories, during the 2017 American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery annual meeting. This new lens design offers patients full-distance vision plus intermediate vision as close as 21 inches.
“This is the first multifocal lens implant that is truly distance dominant with 100% distance vision in its center portion,” Dr. Fisher explained. “We learned very early on that good distance vision is important. Patients don’t want to give up their very good distance vision to get intermediate and near vision. Most patients who have this lens in both eyes can comfortably read their iPad, their computer screen, and, what is also important for many people, their car dashboard.”
Surgeons recognize that meeting patient expectations is vital. A 2015 and 2016 survey by Brand Health Tracker found that surgeons ranked high patient satisfaction as the most important attribute of a presbyopia-correcting IOL.
The next most important attributes were delivering patient expectations and optimized distance vision. Optimized near and intermediate vision were down the list at numbers 10 and 13, respectively.
The ActiveFocus design has a 0.938 mm central portion optimized for distance vision. The central portion is surrounded by an apodized, diffractive multifocal zone with a second distance zone at the periphery.
This large peripheral zone allocates more light to distance as the pupil size increases. With a 3 mm pupil diameter, the new design allocates 69.4% of available light to distance vision and 18% to near vision, for a total light distribution of 87.4%.
The lens has seven diffractive steps across a diffractive region 3.4 mm in diameter and an area of 8.4 mm2. Negative asphericity is -0.2 µm.